I always enjoy having friends for dinner, not just because of the good company but also because it gives me the opportunity to try out new recipes that I wouldn't normally cook for everyday meals. My sister and I organised the menu, a couple of recipes from the current delicious magazine, Pete Evans' My Kitchen and a modified steamed dumpling recipe I googled.
For entree, we had the steamed dumplings with sweet chilli sauce or soy sauce. I added more sauce than the recipe stated (2 tablespoons shaoxing wine, 1 tablespoon soy sauce and 2 teaspoons sesame oil. Also, 4 spring onions instead of the 1 stated and also some finely sliced chinese wombok). I followed the video instructions to learn how to pleat the dumpling wrappers and it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be!
Then Pete Evans' beef rendang with rice and deep fried shallots.
For entree, we had the steamed dumplings with sweet chilli sauce or soy sauce. I added more sauce than the recipe stated (2 tablespoons shaoxing wine, 1 tablespoon soy sauce and 2 teaspoons sesame oil. Also, 4 spring onions instead of the 1 stated and also some finely sliced chinese wombok). I followed the video instructions to learn how to pleat the dumpling wrappers and it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be!
Then Pete Evans' beef rendang with rice and deep fried shallots.
A decadent warm chocolate cake with salted caramel and malt ice cream from the July 2012 delicious magazine.
And to have with coffee, following the salty sweet theme; sea salt, almond and pistachio chocolate snaps (also from the latest delicious magazine).
A lovely evening filled with good food, great company and lots of laughs!







love the new look and am very excited to be one of those friends for dinner people soon.
ReplyDeleteThis looks like a perfect dinner. Great work :)
ReplyDeletethankyou!
Delete