I love reading blog posts on preserving. Recently, Slow Living Essentials' Fowlers bottled peaches, A Day in the Country's preserved lemons, Gooseberry Jam's pickled cucumbers, Green Living Australia's old fashioned peach preserves and Bowerbird Blue's blackcurrent, apple and rhubarb jam which I was lucky enough to receive a jar of (delicious!).
I don't have a very large garden but I am growing some rhubarb. After Bowerbird Blue kindly harvested some for me I decided to make some rhubarb and raspberry jam. My cousin Nicole had given me this Country Women's Association Preserves book which has some lovely recipes for using rhubarb.
The rhubarb is green in colour but it still tastes lovely. Apparently there are different varieties according to Organic Gardener. The raspberries should make the jam look red anyway.
Jars ready. We didn't have enough collected from recycling so we ended up buying some from from here.
Beautiful ruby coloured jam...
I just need to add some labels and they are ready for the cupboard store and to give away as gifts.






That's a serious looking preserving session. Does it taste good? So pleased you could use some of your harvest! That book looks great.
ReplyDeleteYum, That looks just delicious! I too have Green Rhubarb! I feel like I have been Ripped off! I waited and waited and waited for it to turn red and it just didn't! I picked it last week, mixed it with apple and peach and made a crumble. Looked a bit weird all yellow and green but tasted just as good as any rhubarb pudding I've ever had before, I might try to mix the next lot with some plums to make it some beautiful ruby coloured Jam too... ENJOY!
ReplyDeleteWow, looking delicious! This adding rhubarb to jams business is a great thing, isn't it!
ReplyDeleteDon't you just love Costante? I had reason to travel past there quite a bit last year and stopped in one day for a sticky beak..a true treasure trove..ahh!! :)
Yes we spent way too much money at Costante! They have some beautiful jars.
ReplyDelete